Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Toast...dark

Have you ever given out completely? Physically, spiritually, emotionally? It can be a bad thing, but it can often be a good thing too.

Over the past 18 years of ministry I couldn't tell you how many trips I have made with teenagers and/or with a missions emphasis. It is a very effort-filled activity yet one that I immensely enjoy every time. Now it's not all pleasant but "all things work together" to make wonderful memories and hopefully do some kingdom building.

Last week (July 6-12) I accompanied over 40 mainly teens to Lakewood, Ohio to assist a new church plant pastored by 2 young couples from Holland Chapel in Benton and a young couple from our church here in North Little Rock.

It was a week full of activity: flyer distribution advertising the 2 Kids Fest events we helped host, working within a faith-based ministry assisting men and women in transition called "City Reach" (I am very impressed with this organization), working with a local animal shelter, taking gift bags to various community leaders who have been helpful to this young church, actually doing the two Kids Fest events (inflatable games, sno-cones, balloon animals, face-painting, etc.), moving our missionaries from one house into another, taking in a Cleveland Indians baseball game, and spending all day at an amusement park.

We chartered a bus, which is a wonderful way to travel, but we left Sunday morning at 9 am and didn't arrive 'til 3:30 am the next morning. After a full week of activity we opted to leave early Saturday morning (4 am) so we could get home at a reasonable hour Saturday night. But those bus rides were brutal. Kids are energetic...me, not so much. The seats are comfortable...for the first 12 hours maybe. And my claustrophobia kicked in to high gear a few times. Sunday was another full day and then trying to catch up in the office after being gone a week is just more weight to carry.

But who said hard work was a bad thing! I'd rather wear out as rust out! Praise God for the opportunity to be used in His kingdom work. What a privilege to be chosen to be a minister of His on this earth.

Father, as tired as I am, thank you. Fill me again with another measure of energy and vitality so that I can put it all back into your hands. Remind me that it's not about me, that our work here is not in vain, that every work for you will be blessed, and that one day...when we get to heaven...we will have our rest in an beautiful city where there is no fatigue, no impatience, and no problems! Until then, You are all I need!

No comments: