Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Make it better

I'm a biker. I ride a bike. This morning I rode my bike, it was in the mid-20's this morning. I almost didn't want to be a biker any more. It was cold. I was bundled up but it was still cold, but I had places to be and things to do. As I was riding across the river bridge, thinking "woe is me", I looked at one of the huge billboards off to my right. There hanging precariously between heaven and earth, in 25 degree windy weather were two sign guys working on a sign. The pity I felt for myself gave way and I began to realize that my plight was not so bad.

Which got me to thinking. Isn't it true that you don't have to look very hard to find someone who is having a day worse that yours? I think we need to make it a daily challenge to make someone's day a little brighter every chance we get. Maybe it's just a kind word, or a smile, changing a flat tire, maybe buying them a cup of coffee, or even a hot meal. Maybe it's a phone call, a text message or an email. For some it might require a bit more; like providing Christmas for their kids, sitting with them at a hospital or a funeral home, getting them in touch with a professional, giving blood or a kidney.

It is true, the best way to get out of the dumps or to break up a pity party is to start counting your blessings, or better yet...being one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have made my life cosiderably better my brother. You have been a blessing in my life. believe me, working at a wastewater treatment plant will give you a perspective of seing people in worse shape than you. thanks for being the blessing that you encourage others to be. love you, bro