Wednesday, June 8, 2016

There are Still Good Samaritans in this World!

Sitting at the table with my laptop this morning, very stiff and sore, but very thankful for the kindnesses shown by a group of strangers yesterday.

I have loved motorcycles all my life. I rode as a kid and have wonderful memories of “riding the power lines” with my dad and a group of men from First Baptist Church in Bryant. After car driving became legal for me the bike was gone until my children were nearly raised and I bought a big Kawasaki. I commuted back and forth to work, I rode missions with the Arkansas Patriot Guard Riders, I took sightseeing trips with great friends Lynn and Brenda Raborn, Jeff and Kelley Foster, and others. I even took the trip of a lifetime with my best buddy Tim “Grumpy” Mistric. 4,800 miles in 18 days out Rt. 66 to California and back home across I-10 to a cousin’s fishing camp in Pierre Parte, Louisiana. About 3 years ago I had to lay the bike down to avoid a pickup truck that had made a unplanned stop on Camp Robinson Rd. in North Little Rock and I broke a few ribs. That changed me. I wouldn’t admit it for a while but I couldn’t come to grips with the fact that I had become a scared rider. My wife and I made the decision a year ago that it was time to sell the bike and move on. I drug my feet for a while but I finally got the bike cleaned up and ready to sell. The decision to ride it to Benton and park it on the church parking lot wearing a big “For Sale” sign seemed the right thing to do but yesterday all that came to a close.

On Monday, I rode from Jacksonville to Benton and back with no problems. I was very cautious and aware of my surroundings. Yesterday morning’s commute in was uneventful as well. But about 5:00 yesterday afternoon I threw my leg over the beast and had just begun home when I went down again. 

I had just ridden up Shenandoah Dr. and was about to turn right onto Congo Rd. when I just touched my front brake and before I knew it I was on the ground with a 650 lb. bike on top of me. There was no slow-motion, no moment to prepare for the inevitable meeting with the ground, I went down quick. In that split second I was glad there was no traffic around but within just a few seconds, it seemed, I was surrounded by concerned citizens who had stopped to help a stranger. I don’t know any of their names and didn’t recognize any of their faces but I remember them. There was a respiratory therapist that immediately grabbed my hand and started talking to me. “What was hurt?”, “Did you hit your head?” [and yes I was wearing my helmet!” ] “Can I take off your gloves?” She took my pulse and stayed with me through the whole ordeal. Two men pulled the bike off of me, someone called 911, a blanket went into the air to shield me from the sun. When the Benton policeman arrived he was very nice. He was concerned about me as well as handling the situation. He spoke to me very respectfully and kindly and took care of the business that demanded his attention. The ambulance soon arrived and they went to work to get me ready for the trip to Saline Memorial. The policeman asked me if I had anyone close who could take possession of the bike. When I told him I worked down the street at Sharon Baptist Church a man volunteered to ride the bike to the church if someone would bring him back to his car. I turned my keys over to a complete stranger with an honest face. There were people who retrieved my phone from my saddle bag so I could call my wife. Those who took my backpack/computer bag off the bike and sent it with me to the hospital. I told my wife I had taken a spill but was completing surrounded by human angels.

I got to the hospital and after a CAT scan was released with just some bruised ribs and a skinned knee and elbow and a prescription for a muscle relaxer because “you’re gonna be sore in the morning”.

The staff that helped me at the hospital was wonderful, every one! Two of my pastor brothers, Bro. Michael Reese and Bro. Sean Collins came to check on me and offered very welcomed prayers.

So, I’ve decided that the bike will stay at the church until it is sold. I don’t think I will be doing any riding anytime soon. But I will always be thankful for a group of strangers who came together to help a man lying on the ground with a motorcycle. I am encouraged by the love of God that can flow through His people if we allow it.

I’m gonna move pretty slow for a few days but I can still move. It hurts to breathe deeply but I can still breathe. God is good! Now you all be careful out there and look for ways to be a blessing to somebody!

Grateful,


Jeff Hulsizer

1 comment: