Saturday, January 30, 2021

Lunar Thinking

 It has been a while since I have put anything here on the old blog. Life has been busy I suppose. But I have found that we can find time to do almost anything that is important to us. This month (January, 2021) a lot of my spare time has been spent trying to walk 26.3 miles. My wife entered me in a virtual marathon that you could take all month to do; well, it's gonna take me all month long! But I digress.

This week the moon has been especially beautiful. It's been full, bright and even clearly visible during the early morning hours. The meteorologists say that this is called a "wolf" moon, and I am sure the wolves are drawn to howl especially long an loud at this phenomenon. 

One the first things I was reminded of as I watch the moon "set" one morning was that it doesn't "set" in a true vertical pattern; rather, it sets in a diagonal fashion. The whole sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset idea is false as well all know that the earth spinning on its axis is what makes the sun and moon rise and fall. Isn't it amazing that we can sit perfectly still and feel nothing as the earth spins at roughly 1,000 miles an hour!

The moon glows in the sky as if it is giving off light, however the moon generates no light in and of itself. The moon simply reflects the light of the sun. Now that doesnt mean the moon isn't vitally important to us earth inhabitors. The moon controls the tides of the seas and the waves thereupon.

There are probably many other interesting facts about the moon, but none come to mind currently. The point I hope to make is that we, the inhabitants of earth are very important, we all have our jobs to do, and our responsibilities to fulfill, but none of us work in and of ourselves. We live and work because of the love of our Heavenly Father, any love or light that shines from us is a reflection of the Son. lBut unlike the the sun and moon, the clouds and other interruptions that come between them do not have to exist between us and our Lord. Yes, clouds come and go but we should always strive to see the silver lining of every dark cloud, we should immediately find a route over, under, around or through anything that keeps us from focusing on the source of our light and life. Finally, to break away from the astronomical bent of this post, when we find ourselves hanging from a thread-make sure it's the thread of the hem of His garment and everything will be ok.

Live, Love, Laugh and Serve Jesus my friends, and your life will truly mean something!


jh

No comments: