Tuesday, June 10, 2008

ME FIRST!!!


One of my favorite sayings, usually while attending the State Fair or Riverfest, is.."It takes all kinds to make a world". Certainly there are differences in people, but for this entry I will stay far away from the exterior. I'm more interested in behavior. I have come to the conclusion that rudeness is about the most annoying thing anyone could express. Pushing ahead of you in line whether it be in traffic or in line, refusing to yield the right of way (even when there is a particular road sign instructing them to do so), and then just basic rudeness in interacting with people.

I have never worked in the food service industry but I know several people who do or have and most of them say that church groups are among the worst customers. What a shame! But they/we come in and rearrange the furniture, disrupt the peace, tip lightly or not at all, and expect perfection and superhuman service. I have long held the opinion that you can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat their waiter.

The Bible tells us in Romans chapter 12..."not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think"...vs. 3. In verse 10 we find the instruction, "Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;"

"Giving preference to one another", wow, does that go against what comes naturally to us?

Whatever happened to the Golden Rule? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I try to practice that, but to be honest. It seems to be a one way street most of the time. However, if the truth be told, I could probably improve my attitude and think more highly of others too. As a matter of fact, that's a good project...care to join me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutley right, Bro. Jeff. We as Christians should 'let our light so shine', but instead it seems that so many of us hide our 'light' under the ole bushel. That 'light' being the Risen Christ Jesus, and He should shine within us and everyone should be able to see Him within us. I will join you my brother and try to be more considerate of others that cross my path. I think that is what Jesus would do. Thank you for your thoughts my friend.