Monday, June 23, 2008

Two Sides to Every Coin

I've not posted anything in a few days...Vacation Bible School, upcoming Summer activities, getting ready for this vacation; it's been a very busy few weeks. But we've been in the Florida panhandle enjoying the beach for the past few days and will be here until Thursday morning.

I have really needed a little time away to just relax my mind and spirit. I have so enjoyed the beach, the surf, the waves, the sand, the sun, the beauty of it all. How very tranquil, beautiful, soothing.

Then yesterday I got word that the worst thing in the world that could happen to any parent has happened to two very dear friends. Joyce & John Vance's only child drowned while scuba diving with her husband in Cancun. She leaves behind her mom and dad, her grandmother, her husband, and two small children. Wow, what could be more tragic? My heart breaks for their loss.

Yes, she is in a better place. Yes, she is with Jesus...and all that is awesome. But parents aren't supposed to bury their children! Small children need their mommy!

How am I supposed to enjoy a vacation when I know my dear friends are reeling from this blow!

But I am reminded of the temporality of life for all of us and I'm reminded that God the Father saw His Son murdered for the sins of the world.

So as we grieve with John and Joyce, let us not grieve as those who have no hope. Let us hold them up and remind them of God's love. God's love is the greatest gift we can receive. Do you have it?

No comments: