Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving


My apologies for the lack of updates of late. This is just a busy time of year and honestly, I’ve just not been up to it.

I guess the first update is this. After I got back from our Russia trip I just didn’t snap back from jetlag. I just stayed tired, washed out and began to show some other symptoms. Began to make me a bit nervous so I made an appointment with my great doc, Dr. Alan Johnston at the Jacksonville Medical Clinic. We did blood work and had an exam and found that I had picked up a virus or something. So we started an antibiotic and waited for more info from the lab. Long story short I’m taking a steroid for the fatigue and already feel better. My general mood is improving as well, so stick with me kids. I’ll be back real soon.

I have never doubted that I was blessed. But this week was a real roller coaster of emotion for the Hulsizer family.

Today is the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We are at my parent’s home in Alabama enjoying a short visit. We arrived last night but before we started the trip I wanted to get the oil changed in the Expedition and had a mysterious noise in the rear brakes so I took it to the local Firestone (I had a coupon).

I got a call that they didn’t see anything obvious with the brakes but suggested I needed axle bearings (or that’s what we used to call them when the bearings themselves could be replaced). Anyway, you can’t just change out bearings anymore, it’s a hub bearing assembly…about $400 each side and you NEVER replace just one side. So I received a quote of about $1,100. Wow, what a shock! We said goodbye to Christmas and settled in to figure out how to tell the kids.

A couple of hours later I called to see when the work would be finished and received another evidence of the mercy of God. The mechanic began breaking down the car to get to the work and couldn’t find one of the caliper bolts on the left rear brake, which would account for all the symptoms. So the price went from $1100 to 12.95 in no time. What a blessing! God is so good to us.

So as we celebrate this thanksgiving I understand that it is not all fun and games, that life is no picnic. But God is on His throne and He loves us and He reassures us of that fact just at the right time.

Thank you God for your love and provision. Help us to be more thankful and give you far more credit than we do. You are good and you are good all the time. Thank you, most of all, for your Son Jesus!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jeff. What a great story. I am the worlds worst about whining when things just don't go my way. I received a video via email about an 11 year old boy who had cancer and his leg was amputated. The amazing thing about this little boy is that he is also a catcher and top notch baseball player. At first I felt sorry for the little boy, but he didn't show any sorrow within himself. Then I felt sorry for myself because of my own selfishness. What a reminder of the blessings the God gives us, even the air that we breathe is a gift from Him. Again, thank you for this uplifting post and may you and yours be blessed this Thanksgiving holiday.