Thursday, February 28, 2008

Where is your heart?

Yesterday was a day full of drama in the Hulk household. I'm interviewing applicants to replace our financial secretary as she is retiring after 25 years. Interviewing church members can be touchy, you don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings but you must make sure they can handle the finer points of dealing with the various intricacies of a church office.

In addition, my wife is filling in for the registrar at a school where she doesn’t know anyone nor does she know the details of that particular school. My oldest daughter sent three emails between 8 and 11 pm with 40 pictures of shoes. Her boyfriend wants to buy her a new pair of Nike’s for her birthday and she wants her mother and I to decide which ones. (Granted she doesn’t particularly agree with our taste but still makes us help her to decide!)

To top it all off, my youngest daughter and her first little boyfriend have broken up. He’s a senior so this will affect the prom. I am forced to console this princess who feels rejected and ugly while trying to hide the dance of glee. (There's no room in my baby’s heart for any old hair-legged ruffian, her heart belongs to daddy!)

I’ve had my schedule rearranged 4 times. The trips I was scheduled to take have both been canceled, my dad’s surgery is happening today but it’s too late to get out there, so I’m gonna stick around close.

We get so “whacked out” about schedules and problems and work and stuff. We lock up our houses full of stuff we don’t use, to go to work to pay for the stuff we’ve already thrown away, go to the store to buy new stuff to replace the old stuff that we’re still paying off, and never have the chance to enjoy the stuff we have.

I have heard that the most important things in life aren’t things. I would have to agree with that. Too often in life we use people and love things, rather than use things and love people.

Jesus said in Matthew 19, "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

The question for us all to answer today is, “Where is your heart?” As for me, a good portion of it is spread among you, my dear friends. Have a great day!!! Remember, God made you…on purpose!

No comments: