Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Available for Distraction


I heard a quote the other day that has really occupied my mind, "If the mountain was smooth...you couldn't climb it." Wow, how much truth is contained there? Life is a mountain, it seems, and the rocks and crags and valleys and outcroppings that seem to hamper our progress are really handholds and resting places that compliment our ascent.

Whether your life is a mountain or not, it is certainly a journey. But we seldom follow the path that we originally established for ourselves...don't we? God say through the prophet Isaiah in chapter 55:8-9 (NKJV) 8“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord. 9“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."

I have had a couple in interesting things happen to me over the last couple of days. I took a ride with some friends up to Drasco, and at a meeting place I was asked if I did "bike blessings". Well, I never have, but I can sure pray for you, for safety, for mechanical soundness, so I said "sure!".
What a wonderful opportunity to pray with friends over a blessing from God and invite Him to ride along with them and acknowledge His protection and providence in their lives. Another "holy moment" if you will. Also being introduced as a chaplain I have had several requests to pray for a situation or a family member or a friend or a need, whatever. And although it began as a means of just not letting my forgetfulness keep me from keeping a promise, I just ask if we can pray about it right then and there. Again, what a blessing.

I may not have seen that coming or even planned for it, but what a blessing! I am reminded of ole' Moses and his "burning bush" experience. Exodus 3:3-4 (NKJV) 3Then Moses said, “I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.” 4So when the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.”

Do you see what I see there? It wasn't until Moses actually turned aside to look at this strange thing that God called to him. What if Moses just kept walking? What if he hadn't turned aside? Would we have the Old Testament? Would the children of Israel still be captive in Egypt? Who knows?

Father, help me to no be so distracted from my chosen path that I neglect to see the "burning bushes" and other opportunities You place to try to get my attention. Help me to seek those "holy moments" and ways I can be involved in things far bigger than myself. And Father, thanks for picking me out for this special work. You are a great God!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The more I get to know you the more my Christian Love for you grows. I can honestly say that you are the third person to fall into a "special leauge" of individuals who convict daily me with their words, lives, and actions.