Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day 2008


Today is Memorial Day, the culmination of the long Memorial Day weekend. A time of family, friends, food, fun and the like. For me it (the weekend) has meant two days of garage sale, three visits to Riverfest, a great Sunday at church, and now I am preparing for lunch with friends and to attend the special Memorial Day Observance at the State Veteran's Cemetery in Sherwood.

While there is nothing wrong with having fun with the family and friends on Memorial Day, watching the NBA playoffs, soaking in the lake, or whatever activity scratches your particular itch this weekend. I do ask that you set aside some time to remember and appreciate those who paid the ultimate price for the freedoms we enjoy as Americans.

As I ponder the state of the American nation I am certainly concerned, the Presidential election holds no promise of anything good and the moral and financial decline coupled with the promise of higher gas and food prices has me on the verge of depression; however, this is still one nation under God, this is America: The land of the free and the home of the brave, this is still the greatest nation in the world and I am proud to be called an American.

I fondly remember those whom I never met, young men and women who answered the call to fight for America. Those who fought in wars from the Revolutionary War to the present day War on Terror. My heart grieves for their sacrifice and I hurt for the families they left behind. But my heart swells with pride at the courage and steadfastness they showed in doing what they were called to do. It is because of them that we enjoy the freedoms we have today. So think about those hillsides and valleys adorned with white crosses today...and everyday.

I think it is also important that we remember a particular hillside adorned with a cross. That hillside is just outside Jerusalem and it is called Golgotha, the place of the skull. On that hillside over 2000 years ago a man named Jesus gave up His life for our freedom as well. But rather than political or national freedom, Jesus provides freedom from sin and the penalty we all owe for it. This Memorial Day I hope you find yourself within the family of God, if not, you need to visit that hillside in your heart and accept the freedom that only Christ offers.

No comments: